The WCTY Food Drive is November 1st and 2nd at the Big Y World Class Markets in Norwich, CT! You can help us fill the tractor trailer full of Non-perishable food items donations and monetary for the Gemma Moran United Way Labor Food Bank and the TVCCA! The WCTY Food drive is powered by Girard Ford on Route 32 in Norwich “Girard Ford has the Way”.
All food donations to the Gemma Moran United Way Labor Food Bank are appreciated. During the holiday season, we are especially in need of the following items to prepare holiday food baskets: Frozen turkeys, boxed stuffing, cranberry sauce, boxed mashed potatoes, and canned vegetables!
Other items that are always in demand:
Pasta Canned and dried beans
Soup and broth Canned tomato products
Rice (brown and white) Shelf stable milk
Canned fish and meat 100% juice
Peanut butter Jams and jellies
Dry cereals and oatmeal
What is food insecurity?
Food insecurity is being without reliable access to a sufficient quantity of affordable nutritious food
- According to Feeding America, more than 33,000 New London County residents experience food insecurity.
- 1 in 6 children in Southeastern Connecticut is food insecure
- There are more than 30,000 people living below the poverty level in our region
Food Center Statistics
- Last year, the Food Center distributed the equivalent of 1 million meals to more than 80 food pantries, shelters, child care centers, community meal sites, and programs for the elderly.
- Member agencies in turn provide food and meals to more than 22,000 men, women and children throughout New London County each month.
- The Food Center’s Mobile Food Pantry program feeds another 1,200 households, on average, each month at its distribution sites.
Several of TVCCA’s programs provide meals, snacks and/or vouchers for our most vulnerable age groups in our community.
Each year, the Senior Nutrition Program serves over 110,000 meals (includes home delivered and congregate) to over 3,000 seniors in New London County.
In the past year, the WIC Program (Women, Infants and Children) provided food vouchers and support to more than 6,500 pregnant/ breastfeeding women and children, birth to age 5.
TVCCA’s Little Learner’s and Head Start Programs provide nutritious meals and snacks to approximately 1,300 children in New London County
We would like to thank all our sponsors: